Monday, July 14, 2014

American vs. European Cosmetics!

Hey Cuties, I've always wondered why European makeup was more expensive and seemingly more glamorous than our humble American makeup. Maybe it was better for you? Maybe it was just because it was in Euros? I wasn't sure so I decided to get a closer look.

FDA only prohibits 10 chemicals in American cosmetics.

I know what you’re thinking, oh that’s good! Those must be some really bad chemicals that we shouldn’t be putting on our face. Well, think again Cuties. The FDA has no authority to test the chemicals or recall cosmetics for safety. On top of this makeup companies based in the United States are not required to register their cosmetics establishment or the ingredients they use or any kind of cosmetics related injuries to the FDA. It’s absolutely ridiculous Cuties, it frustrates me beyond believe.

The CIR is run by over 600 makeup companies.

CIR (Cosmetics Ingredient Review) claims to be fair and balanced yet it’s funded by PCPC ( Personal Care Products Council). The PCPC spent over 600,000 dollars in Sacramento to prevent the California Safe Cosmetics Act of 2005, a law that would require manufacturers to post any unsafe ingredients on product labels, from passing! Completely insane right Cuties? Mind you this is the only safety code or opinion used by the FDA. Some chemicals in some of our favorite products can cause some serious issues like trouble breathing and cardiovascular disease. Trust me, I’m as in shock as you. We really got to be careful in this makeup world in the US.

Europe has the EUCD.

The EUCD (European Union Cosmetics Directive) mandates that products “must not be damaging to human health when applied under normal or reasonably foreseeable conditions of use”. They also have label requirements. Manufacturer, Importer or Distributer’s Name and Address, Nominal Content by weight or volume, Date of Minimum Durability or period after opening(PAO), when appropriate, for products lasting more than 30 months. Essentially companies based in Europe are required to be completely transparent.   

EUCD requires specific standards.

European makeup brands have In-Market surveillance to make sure that the EUCD regulations are being followed. There is just nowhere for makeup companies to hide anything in Europe. Which is a great thing for the consumer.

Worth the price, I'd say.

From what I’ve seen here in the US, importing makeup from the UK or Europe as a whole is not only a hassle but quite pricey. Once I discovered all this, I can’t say I’m mad at it. I’m not saying that us Cuties here and the US shouldn’t buy the makeup we know and love. I’m just saying that you just never know what’s going on behind the scenes so take some precautions. I know I won’t stop buying my favs, even if I am a little shell shocked. 

How do you Cuties feel about US makeup standards?

Let me know in the comments below.


Until next time Cuties(: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Cuties, I'd love to hear from you, and I promise I read each and every one of your comments and they mean the world to me.I hope you come back and see what you missed!
And remember,Stay Cute,Stay You.

Powered by Blogger.
Designed By Boutique-Website-Design